Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dietary discoveries



Every time my mom comes to visit, I find that my kitchen and my diet evolve. I'm either adding some strange new food to my routine, like ground flaxseed, or removing something that is sure to cause cancer, like children's vitamins containing aspartame. It's always an adventure and I welcome it now more than ever before because after years of experimenting, I can honestly say that my body feels and treats me better when I'm off of dairy, sugar and things that are "artificial". Not that I always abide by these new rules because sometimes the call of the Caramel Machiatto is much stronger than the vague memory of stomach cramps and brain fog, but i do know better now.

My mom came last week, and this time, I was ready for her...I had a new food to share. I'm quite proud of myself for discovering palm sugar. A friend in North Carolina sent me a link for a recipe calling for palm sugar and I was so intrigued that I hunted it down at the Asian store here in town. It's cheap! And good considering it's low glycemic index number of 35 and tastes like a pasty maple syrup. Yummy! It kind of has that "just eat it straight from the container" quality, like ice cream. Hannah, who hates to shop and be in grocery stores, was more than happy to accompany me to the Asian market today (and drag Nathan too) when I told her we were out of palm sugar. She willingly carried the 5 pound jug from the car to the house and waited ever so patiently and sweetly while I unloaded the rest of the groceries and heated up the cast iron skillet to make her palm sugar bread concoction that GaGa invented when she was last here. So here's the link for any other brave cooks....
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/12/easiest-healthiest-most-scrmptious.html

Oh, and I did make the "healthy fudge" and love it!

5 comments:

Anderson Family said...

I am going to have to go hunt that down. I love trying new stuff...Rachel

Paula said...

Are you allergic to dairy?

Caroline said...

I was introduced to palm sugar last night at your parents' house. I liked it!

Runwithme said...

I brought my own raisin bran to your parents' house, but they had no milk to go with it!

Caroline said...

Hmm hmm hmmm ....

So. We have the cake palm sugar that you grate, and I had used it to make gf appe sorghum pancakes on Monday, yum!! But I didn't know there was a spreadable version. So since it was raining Gi and I went to the asian mkt after story time and bought the 2 kilo jar. Hope we like it, my friend.

And I want to try the healthy fudge too. Dairy free? and chocolate? Gi will be in heaven! "Mama, is it safe for me?" Thanks for the link to your friend's blog, it was interesting.

 

yasmin lawsuit